If you've ever thought about seeing adermatologist but worried it was too expensive, I've got some good news: Seeing a derm might be cheaper than you think. In fact, it could even save you money!
Here are five reasons why you should see a dermatologist for your skin care needs:
1. Your insurance may cover it. While insurance companies obviously won't pay for Botox or other cosmetic services, they often will cover treatments for common afflictions like rosacea and acne. Depending on what state you live in, you may not even need a referral.
2. You can save money on OTC products. People might think it's cheaper to treat a problem on their own with over-the-counter products, but that's not always the case. For example, acne products, such as those containing benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient in Proactiv) are often covered by insurance. If you're under 21, they most certainly are. Why pay for OTC when you can get a more effective prescription treatment for the cost of your copay?
3. Prescription retinoids are more effective. Nothing beats a prescription retinoid for fighting wrinkles, boosting collagen and keeping skin plump and supple. OTC products contain very low strength retinoid (Vitamin A) and can't be as effective as prescription products like Retin-A, Differin or Tazorac. In some cases, insurance will cover this too--ask your provider to be sure.
4. Physicians use more powerful lasers. Dermatologists have stronger, more effective lasers and light devices (such as IPL) at their disposal than non-physicians. In many cases, it doesn't cost much more to get these treatments from a derm than it does at a spa.
5. We're the experts! Every dermatologist does four years of med school, followed by a year-long internship (usually in pediatrics, surgery or internal medicine) and three years of specific training on the science, treatment and care of your skin. In other words, we know what we're doing!