Keep Detergent Packets Away from Young Children

Here's a helpful piece of information from the American Academy of Pediatrics about those popular single-load packets of laundry and dishwasher detergent:

They’re colorful and look like gummy candy, but just one single-load detergent packet can harm children if they swallow the liquid inside.

Ever since single-load laundry pods hit store shelves, poison centers across the United States have been getting calls about them. Children who do not know any better put them in their mouths, thinking they are candy, teething rings, or toys. Others have gotten the chemicals from the packs on their hands and then touched their eyes, causing eye damage.

Accidental poisonings from these packets

In 2012, about 500 children were injured after getting into liquid laundry packets. Some children had to go to the hospital because they ate the product and then fainted, vomited uncontrollably, became very sleepy, or could not breathe. Others suffered from eye burns and could not see for a while, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Accidental poisoning is the top cause of death in children. The American Academy of Pediatrics advises parents to keep these detergent packets and all cleaning supplies locked up where young children can’t see or reach them. Most children who get into cleaning supplies are age 5 and younger.

Here are some other tips to keep children safe from poisonous substances, including laundry pods:

  • Do not let children handle the detergent packets. Adults should make sure their own hands are dry before handling them.
  • Keep packets sealed in their original packaging. Never store them in food containers, cups, or bottles.
  • Lock away any product that is dangerous to young children, including those in the garage and medicine cabinet.
  • Even if a package seems childproof, it should be kept out of sight and reach.

For a poison emergency in the U.S., or if you think your child may have swallowed or had contact with detergent packets or any other poisonous substance, call the Poison Help Line anytime at 1-800-222-1222. 

©1996-2013, Johns Hopkins University. All rights reserved. Disclosure: The information provided here is compiled by The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with editorial supervision by one or more of the members of the faculty of the School of Medicine pursuant to a license agreement with Yahoo! Inc. under which the School of Medicine and its faculty editors receive licensing fees and payment for services rendered within the scope of the License Agreement. Johns Hopkins subscribes to the HONcode principles of the Health on the Net Foundation.

LEAVE YOUR COMMENT

Follow Yahoo Health on and become a fan on

Follow @YahooHealth on
Related Health News