Sexual activity is nature's secret fountain of youth! Sex raises the level of life-extending substances - such as endorphins, DHEA, and growth hormone - while lowering the stress hormones that shorten your life span.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are missing out on these health benefits of sex. Take a look at your libido and find out how to live long and last long.
Nature's Viagra for Men
Even before 50 years of age, hormone levels begin to decline in men, often resulting in a lower sex drive and interfering with the ability to perform.
Also, by this age, most men have developed plaque buildup in the circulatory system that decreases blood flow to the penis. These factors contribute to erectile dysfunction (E.D.), for many men the most disturbing aspect of aging.
Chinese medicine has had a long, successful history of reversing the decline in male sexual potency. My father, a celebrated doctor of Chinese medicine, created an herbal remedy for low libido called "Dragon Male Formula," which can be found in some select Whole Food stores or online at askdrmao.com.
The formula, used to promote healthy functions of the testicles, circulation, and hormonal system, is made up of deer antler velvet, ginseng root, morinda root, Chinese Senega root, and horny goat weed - effective for both male and female sexual potency.
Additionally, for most men, physical fitness and activity can increase their testosterone levels and build confidence. Reduce stress, get enough sleep, and eat a diet rich in zinc, which is found in beans and legumes, Brazil nuts, brown rice, cashews, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and the richest source of it all - oyster.
Long Live the Female Libido
Women, as aging sets in, begin to experience a prominent drop in sex drive. This is largely due to a decline in the hormones estrogen and testosterone. Other factors that diminish female desire include childbirth, the onset of menopause, stress, depression, relationship conflicts, fatigue, poor self-image, and inability to reach orgasm.
To preserve and enhance the hormonal aspect of libido, I often recommend an herbal formula to my patients, called "Feminine Desire," that combines horny goat weed with the herbs dong quai, wild yam, ginseng, and the spices anise, ginger, and turmeric.
This formula promotes healthy endocrine system function, as well as stirring up vitality, energy, and natural desires. Other essential elements to restoring the libido for women are getting in touch with emotions, connected with their partner, and feeling desirable. This formula is also available in select Whole Foods stores or online at askdrmao.com.
1. Eat for your libido! Warming and pungent, these foods can help motivate the body's fire energy: garlic, onion, scallion, leek, chives, ginger, cinnamon, fennel, cardamom, anise, turmeric, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and horseradish.
Deep sea and cold water fish, including halibut, salmon, sardines, and shellfish can increase libido by improving overall sexual health with their high concentrations of essential omega fatty acids.
2. Desire-enhancing remedy: Make chicken broth by boiling chicken stock with turmeric, cayenne pepper, onion, leek, chive, and ginger. Eat at least one bowl daily.
3. Rekindle with romance. In today's fast-paced world, most people have abandoned the romantic evening meals. Treat your partner to a sensual candle-lit dinner with a little wine to warm up the yang energy. (But drink moderately because too much will cause temporary impotence.) Romance can have a powerful effect on a person's emotions and can instantly arouse sexual desires.
4. Let's get physical! Physical activity has been clinically proven to improve sexual health - 30 minutes of daily walking, jogging, and other cardio exercise can be combined with tai chi or qigong for good results. Kegel exercises can help strengthen the lower pelvic muscles and help prevent prostate problems in men and incontinence in women.
I hope you find the ways to rekindle the flame! I invite you to visit often and share your own personal health and longevity tips with me.
May you live long, live strong, and live happy!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To learn more about Dr. Mao and other natural health tips, go to askdrmao.com.
To purchase Dr. Mao's book, "Secrets of Self-Healing," click here.