Why Have a Bilateral Mastectomy?

Comments

Awesome...

My grandmother had breast cancer and died. My family on that side of the tree have all had cancer is some form or another (breast being predominant) and the only one to have survived it was my great-grandmother (who's still alive and in her late 80's) by having a masectomy at the first sign of cancer. I wouldn't hesitate. After nursing 4 kids they don't look like much and don't have much for sensation anyway so that doesn't bother me. I have no problems taking radical measures if it meant I had a higher chance of being around to be there for my girls. Besides, hubs is an @$$ man and could care less what my rack looked like.

Slanted? Dont see that. Fact: Lump has higher breast re-occurance and Mast has the same overall survival rate due to to lurking cancer cells. Sounds pretty clear to me it's a personal decision. If you haven't had to make that decision, maybe you wouldn't understand but its not an easy one to make and there is not a wrong answer.

How did I decide to do a bi-lateral mastectomy? 1-I prayed! 2-I listened to gut feeling (i've always believed gut feeling is God speaking to me) 3-I spoke to other women who had breast cancer and who had family members who had it and I found that most said that those who did lumpectomy ended up doing mastectomy down the road when cancer came back. 4-I was very flat chested so i had no relationship, so to speak, with my breastts. So to remove them wasn't an emotional thng for me. It was emotional when I got bigger boobies. :) My bi-lateral mastectomy was in NO WAY an ordeal, traumatic, painful. I healed beautifully and had no pain at all. Most discomfort i had was my first night home I slept on the couch. Wrong move because getting up was a pain. I handled that the next day by renting a electric lounger. Case solved! After that bi-lateral, I had a second surgery to have lymph nodes removed (22 total) and then a 3rd surgery to get the implants. Thankfully, my experience was very positive, especially since these where my first medical procedures ever. I am very happy with the choice I made!

I was diagnosed with stage 1 ductal carcinoma in my right breast. I didnt want radiation but did have chemo. I chose a bilateral mastectomy because i felt that was the right choice for me. On my follow up visit found out i had a 4mm HER2 positive tumor. Shock and disbelief, why didnt they find this on the numorous mammo's, ultrasounds and a breast MRI of both breasts??? I stand behind my choice and the reconstructive surgeries were well worth my peace of mind and believe me I know it can pop up anywhere it wants in my body but right now im living, breathing and enjoying life as never before.

While I believe that every woman should be counseled and made aware of her options and risks, it seems to me like this article is more than a little slanted and is admittedly based on a few anecdotal responses to a nurse.