Experimental Therapy May Treat Depression

Comments

Electric shocks and pills?? Really people? Go see a good Hypnotist and rid yourself of this issue safely and permanently.

Interesting. I don't have chronic depression, but my boyfriend does...so he might be interested. Meanwhile, the whole thing about how it changes your brain's sense of pain SCARES ME. After running for 5 years, having cramps so painful that I've gone to the hospital, and having seizures/high blood pressure...I'd never do this. Plus, one of the very few benefits to autism is a good memory. I don't wanna lose that :C

I have spoken with people who had ECT... Scary! Why is everyone in such a big hurry to have their brain blasted with electricity??? When someone is depressed, it is because they are stuck , and can't figure out an issue. They most likely do not KNOW what the problem IS! To FIX issues, we go to a therapist, and spend some months or years figuring out what the issue is. Sometimes the therapist might recommend an antidepressant to help a person remain functional, during therapy. There SHOULD BE NO ANTIDEPRESSANT PILL GIVEN, UNLESS THE PATIENT IS HAVING THERAPY!!! In today's world, they give out pills to make the symptom of depression not obvious... The depression is still there. So, when they give Antidepressants, and the depression doesn't go away, or gets worse and suicidal thoughts starts up (from the antidepressants) it is because the person is not getting THERAPY!!!!! It should be illegal to give an antidepressant without THERAPY! The SAME goes for ECT... They are going after the SYMPTOM of a psychological problem (depression), without curing the underlying issue! I would suggest that THERAPY, although not fast, will CURE the depression (which is most likely caused by life problems). And, handing out pills to make the symptom of depression less, makes the patient think the problem is gone. So they never address the real issue, and keep being depressed, even with pills. But, I expect this type of carp from Lisa UnCool, who like to glamorize her stupid articles... Yahoo! It is time to can Lisa UnCool! She is full of it!

Once upon a time I worked on staff on a large, locked ward county psychiatric facility and very often assisted during ECT and aftercare. Everything about the procedure interested me--still does. I noticed a point that wasn't made above, that I consider worth looking at. ECT uses 5.0 X 10E16 electrons for average 3 seconds, so each treatment uses approximately 1.5 X10E17 electrons in ECT. This tDCS uses 1/400th the ampere-seconds (watts) for 20 minutes, which happens to be 400 times the duration of ECT. So EACH procedure pumps about the same number of electrons through the brain tissue--one in average 3 seconds, the other much more slowly over an average period of 1200 seconds. Therefore, I'm forced to speculate/suggest that there's something about passing a critical number of extra outside electrons through the brain circuitry that does the real useful "work" to combat depressive disorders. What if the treatments took an hour and had 1/3 the current of tDCS? The success of tDCS already puts the seizure like concomitants of ECT in doubt. If slower is still effective. Maybe very slow would be also and move patients further away from any dreaded side effects--seizure, memory loss, inability to focus attention properly, disorientation, conditioned emotional reactions, disruptions in daily routine, etc.

I would think enjoying several rounds in bed with many of today's pretty women would help. I mean, it seems like an idea.

So we're gonna go back to "winding people up" huh? Worked in the South.

qwerqwerwer

Are you kidding me? Will we never learn from our own history? Doesn't anyone remember psychology's last sojourn with mind--probing electricity? So this is "new", less intensive, not as highly concentrated energy bursts..... THIS is an experiment better left in the past. LEARN people. READ - INVESTIGATE PLEASE!!!

This article is shockingly stupid. Death is the only sure fire cure for depression.

Related Health News