Hand Sanitizers: Healthy or Hype?

Comments

I find it hard to believe that hospitals nationwide use alcohol based hand sanitizer gels in patient rooms if they don't work. And using C-diff as the example of how alcohol sanitizers don't work is silly. Very few things kill C-diff. Citing an example of a cheap sanitizer that's only 40% alcohol not working is not even remotely proof that all sanitizers don't work either - the CDC recommends that sanitizers be at least 60% ethyl alcohol to be considered effective..

I remember back in the late 50's and early 60's when the family was travelling throughout the world my mother used to make us kids wash our hand in Lystereen she'd pour over our cupped hands. Especially if there was no bath room around to wash up in. Since that time even as I travelled the world I have always used Lystereen as that purpose as well. But since the hand jell has come out I always use it if in public places and can't wash.

The overuse of hand sanitizers. Another reason that kids these days have no immune system

SlenderMan, I agree with you! I'm over 60 years of age and while basic hygiene is a good thing for sure, I really do think many people are overdoing it. The bodys' immune system can get SO sensitive, even a relatively "small" bug can knock a person out.

Sanizing your home a family is as bad as taking your kids to the doctor everytime they get a runny nose, or a little fever. The first thing a doctor does is give them is a antibacteria drug. After a while the kids system get use to the drug, and it don't work when they realy need it. So let your kids get dirty, have fun, and if their runny nose and fever get worse after two days of over the counter medis. doesn't work than take them to the doctor.

30 or 40 years ago we didn't have hand sanitizers and massive flu outbreaks. The germaphobes have basically taken away a human's natural ability to fend off the germs but naturally building up an immunity to it. It's OK to occasionally come in contact with germs and invasive bacteria so we can build up a resistance to it, ya know, the way humans are designed to do? I notice a lot of my friends' kids get sick because they have to Lysol everything , wash everything, all day long, and when they DO come in contact with a germ or some kind of bacteria from school/daycare, BOOM their kids are deathly ill. Mine haven't missed school in 2 years because we don't go overboard on the freakout germaphobe cleansing. Dirt is OK, really, it is. Don't let the media make you paranoid. Remember, fear sells.

Yes, but is coffee good or bad for you?There is no end of these articles....

My ??? is this: Do the people that depend upon these sanitizers when they are out wash their hands when the possibility exists with soap and water...or when they get home?? I don't use, nor do I like. The ONLY time I will use sanitizers like this is when I am at an outside gathering/craft show/whatever where they have the portable potties and no water, just the sanitizer available. Then when I find a place to use soap and water, I DO. To much is put on these things and not enough on basic hand washing (especially the adults--they are the worst offenders and they don't teach their children to use soap and water enough either). And people wonder why the flu hits so bad in our country. Hmmmmm, hint, hint, hint, hint........

Related Health News