Why Women Don’t (But Should) Lift Weights

Comments

???

I notice the women in the best shape at the gym are the one's that spend 50% of there workout on weights and actually exercise hard. While 40-minutes on the eliptical may be a great for your heart, doing the same exercise isn't going to have much effect on your body shape or even weight without further diet/exercise. I rarely do cardo because an hour of circuit training is all the cardo I need. I'm 6" and 177lbs, so after lifting 45,000lb's I'm pretty exhausted and breathing hard having worked every major muscle in several ways...you will never get that on a stationary bike/eliptical/treadmill.

This should be left on Yahoo's front page forever. Although it's not news, more people (male and female) should be lifting. The benefits are numerous.

i WOULD CHECK WITH A DOCTOR FIRST BEFORE LIFTING WEIGHTS

P90X

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! WOW, I have 3 herniated disks and I still lift weights, and oh yeah I am a woman!!!! What the hell kind of article is this??!! Has the author not seen what the CrossFit nation has started???? Even though I am injured, I am in the best shape of my life and can out perform the average 20 year-old at 34 and 3 herniated disks. I lift more (but not enough to re-injure myself) then the average man and I am proud of it, I am not bulky just lean muscle, lifting does not cause bulk. This is utterly sexist and statistically unfounded.

The headline and beginning of this article is sexist crap from decades ago. Millions of women, including moi, do weight training and know perfectly well the value. It's not news.

This is new news???????????????????????

My wife is in GREAT shape cause she has to lift my yule log :)

I must be one of those exceptions, cuz my arms started to look really muscular/big when I did this. Meh, to each their own. I do swimming now, and recommend it for anyone over 30 (and under too) cuz it's low-impact, burns calories, slims and tones. Recommend active-rest swimming routine though, definitely the way to go.