Miss America Contestant Opts for Double Mastectomy at Age 24

Comments

What a brave choice this young woman has made to take care of her health. God bless her. wishing her to have a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing your story.

oh and as for living a "clean lifestyle".. my cousin did that... died of aggressive liver cancer at age 36, so that doesn't work either... it's 2 percent genetics, and 98 percent luck of the draw... nothing I'd gamble my boobs on.

It doesn't keep you from getting cancer if you are genetically predisposed to it... why would you deliberately mutilate yourself out of misguided fear? I suppose no doctor counseled against this horrific move? Of course not, the medical conglomerate is about money..bottom line.. There will NEVER be a cure for cancer because its big business..and if they can scare a woman into making an expensive (all the way around) decision like this, what do they care?

Bless her. What a brave and lovely young lady; I wish her nothing but health and happiness.

so if my dad died of cancer of the love muscle...do i go get mine cut off....

does this girl not relize that when she removes her breasts..the cancer...if it is genetic...will come to another part of her body..where she may not be able to detect in time....a regular check up..especially if she is predisposed to breast cancer will catch it.. a beautiful breast is a terrible thing to waste

I also have the BRCA mutation - my mother was tested for it after 4 of her sisters were diagnosed with breast cancer. We are thankful that one of aunts who survived was able to have the BRCA testing done which led the other sisters to get tested. Because my mother tested positive for the mutation, I was also tested 2 years ago and found out that I have the BRCA 1 mutation. I will absolutely take the preventative measures and not only have a double mastectomy as well as a hysterectomy (people with BRCA 1 mutation have a 50% chance of developing ovarian cancer by age 70 and a 90% chance of developinb breast cancer by age 70). After watching my family suffer through this horrific disease, I am more than grateful to the Lord that I am able to take these steps to prevent the disease in my own body. For those of you who are adamantly (and somewhat rudely) suggesting this is a poor decision for those of us with this mutation, I suggest researching this topic thoroughly before contriving such cretinous statements. My husband and I are confident that we have made the right decision for our family, and although I am not thrilled with the circumstances, I have seen breast cancer take one life too many in my family. We have done our research and prayerfully considered this decision, and to Allyn, to the thousands of other women who have taken the initiative to fight this disease, to those whose opinions are contrary to the decisions we have made, know that you are all loved by God who is greater than any illness, any stronghold, any trial in this life will ever be.

Sick!

why not opt for a good lifestyle which includes smart nutritional choices and regular exercise...no one has a genetic disposition for getting cancer, regardless of how many family members get it. We may have an inherited disposition towards food and lifestyle choices which may cause us to become ill...it's up to us to take control of our lives and bodies.