Social Smoking: More Dangerous Than You Think

Comments

I am 61 years old and quit smoking 28 years ago. I was married at the time and my wife told me she had quit. I hadn't really noticed because I was a trucker and was gone a lot of hours of the day. I was sitting in my patio with the BBQ going ready to cook dinner, smoking a cig and having a drink, nothing better. I sat there and thought about it, put my smoke out and destoyed the rest of the pack, cold turkey. I am not trying to tell anyone it was easy, it wasn't, I suffered with myself for 6 months before the cravings eased off, but thankfull to this day that I did.

I would like to see the proof in ALL of these studies.

Smokers unite and ride to the sound of the guns; it's pitchfork time.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. If there was a Yahoo article saying that poison was dangerous, some trolls would probably say, "I call b.s.--my grandmother drank poison every morning, smoked a carton a day and ate nothing but lard, and lived to 120" or "Dr. Crackpot says poison is good for you," because they love to argue and get a reaction.

Food will kill you faster than cigarettes will.

Until they start going after alcohol users like they have smokers and overeaters, I really don't want to hear this. It is hypocrisy. You want to stomp on every one else's lives, but not your own. Butt out. Yes, smoking is bad for you, but so is drinking and until these puffed up egomaniacs go after drinkers like they have smokers, then I don't want to hear their shrill voices.

Smoking is an evil habit. Your body is a temple for the living spirit in you and anything that harms it is evil. smokersodysseycom

I was a heavy smoker for 5 years and I quit back in January. I smoked for all of the reasons people typically say they smoke: stress, helps with anxiety, feels good etc... Now that I have quit, I feel WAY better, both physically and mentally. I cope with stress a lot better and much more quickly and I have learned to deal with my anxiety. My clothes smell better, my hair smells better, I don't have to constantly worry about whether or not there will be a place to smoke wherever I go, whether or not I left my lighter on the back porch and will have to buy another, whether or not I can buy a pack of cigarettes wherever I am going in case I run out... the freedom is amazing. Plus, I am saving money. I bought myself a brand new smart phone and Netflix <3 still costs less than smoking and they are both a lot more fun for my husband and I! Quitting is the best decision I ever made.

Puffing even one cigarette a day boosts heart attack risk by 63 percent? How do they know this? This is an example of pseudo-science. It isn't real science. Real science is something which may be measured and observed.

i remember the neighbor kid using peer pressure to get me to smoke my first cigeratte. telling me your not a man if you don't smoke. i bought it and smoke one cigeratte, my lungs were not happy with the first few draws but they accepted it after that. this is were my common sense kicked in. i reasoned ok i smoked a cigeratte therefor i am a man and no longer need another cigeratte to prove that point. hey, i did it, it wasn't that big a deal and now i really see no reason to ever smoke another one + they are a waste of money. never buy what people push on you with peer pressure. it wastes your time and isn't in your best interest.